Comprehensive source of biography, autobiography & memoir resources
Enter your search terms
Submit search form
How to write a Biography
Add to Favorites
Browse the list of Biographies on BiographyShelf.com
Browse biographies in Alphabetical Order
- 16th U.S. president & unionist. Ended slavery & delivered influential speeches.
- 20th century German dictator. Leader of the Nazi Party.
- 20th century English novelist. Best-selling mystery crime writer.
- 20th century Japanese businessman. CEO & co-founder of Sony Corporation.
- 20th century Italian-American gangster. Influential organized crime figure during Prohibition.
- 20th century English mathematician. Father of modern computer science.
- 20th century physicist. Developed theory of relativity.
- 20th century Scottish bacteriologist. Discovered penicillin.
Alexander Graham Bell
- 19th-20th century Scottish-born inventor of the telephone.
Alexander the Great
- 4th century BC Macedonian ruler. Conqueror of largest Western empire.
- 20th century English film director. Known for his thrillers & suspense films.
- 19th century Swedish chemist. Invented dynamite & founded Nobel Prizes.
- 19th-20th century Italian-American banker. Founder of world's largest bank.
- 20th century American aviator. First female solo aviator.
- 20th century Russian physicist. Father of the atomic bomb.
- 19th century Scottish-born American industrialist & businessman. Steel industry giant & pioneer.
- 20th century American artist. Leader of Pop art movement.
- 20th century German-Jewish girl. Wrote world-famous diary during Nazi occupation.
- 20th century American landscape photographer. Best-known photographer in U.S.
- 3rd century BC Greek mathematician. Greatest mathematician of all time.
- 4th century BC Greek philospher & scientist. Most influential thinker in history. Father of math, science & philosophy.
- 20th century American playwright. Most prominent American dramatist.
- 20th century Belgian-born actress & humanitarian. Star of Breakfast at Tiffany's.
- 19th century French sculptor. Influential 19th century artist known for his bronze images such as The Thinker.
- 20th century Chilean military leader. Lead a 1973 coup and became the country’s dictator.
- 20th century legendary American baseball player.
- 19th-20th century English author & illustrator. Wrote & ilustrated 23 children's books including The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
- 19th-20th century Italian dictator. Italian fascist leader.
- 18th century American diplomat & inventor. Founding Father. Discovered theories of electricity.
- 19th-20th century Welsh philosopher & mathematician. Founder of analytical philosophy.
- 20th century American entrepreneur. Co-founder of Microsoft & richest man in the world.
- 20th century American co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous.
- 20th century American singer & songwriter. Influential musician of the 1960’s & voice of the generation.
- 19th century American religious leader. Second president & prophet of the Church of Latter Day Saints.
- 20th century martial artist & actor. Most influential martial arts master.
Buddha (aka Siddhartha)
- 6th century BC Indian spritual teacher. Founder of Buddhism.
- 20th century Irish novelist & scholar. Author of Chronicles of Narnia.
Captain James Cook
- 18th century English explorer, navigator & cartographer. Noted for his exploration and mapping of the Pacific Islands, Australia & New Zealand.
- 19th-20th century Swiss psychologist & psychiatrist. Founded analytical psychology.
- 20th century American astronomer and writer. Made significant contributions to & popularized modern astronomy.
Cecil John Rhodes
- 19th century English imperialist & mining magnate. Founder of De Beers Mining Company & colonized the former Rhodesia (present day Zimbabwe).
- 19th century English mathematician & inventor. Invented first digital computer, forerunner of modern computer.
- 19th century English naturalist. Established theory of natural selection.
Charles de Gaulle
- 20th century French military leader. First French president to head country after Nazi occupation.
- 19th century English novelist. Most famous Victorian novelist.
- 20th century American aviator. Pilot of the first non-stop solo flight across Atlantic from New York & Paris.
- 20th century American stockbroker. Founded world's largest brokerage firm.
- 20th century English actor & director. Greatest motion-picture comedian.
- 20th century Argentinian revolutionary. International guerilla leader.
- 15th century Italian navigator. Discovered the Americas.
- 2nd-1st century BC Roman orator, writer & philosopher. Rome's greatest orator to highly influence European thought.
- 19th-20th century French painter. Initiated & developed Impressionism.
- 20th century French fashion designer. Pioneer fashion designer who revolutionized women’s haute couture.
- 20th century African-American politician & educator. First African-American female Secretary of State.
- 6th century BC Chinese philosopher. Ideas most influenced East Asian civilization
- 15th-16th century Polish astronomer. First to theorize order of planets & the Sun center of solar system.
- 20th century pioneer of radio and television broadcasting.
- 18th-19th century American frontiersman. Most popular American folk hero.
- 20th century American businessman & real-estate tycoon. CEO of Trump Organization.
- 20th century author & illustrator. Wrote best-selling children's book The Cat in the Hat.
- 20th century American president. 34th President of the USA to serve and command armies during WWII.
Edgar Allan Poe
- 19th century poet & writer of macabre tales.
- 19th century French painter & sculptor. Pioneer of French Impressionism.
- 20th century American astronomer. Most influential astronomer of modern times.
- 20th century American public figure. Most important & respected First Lady.
- 19th century English physician & women's rights activist. First woman to receive a medical degree in the U.S.
- 20th century American singer known as the "King of Rock 'n' Roll".
- 19th-20th century English reformer. Leading British suffragette.
- 20th century Italian-American physicist. Father of the nuclear age.
- 15th-16th century Dutch humanist & theologian. Controversial leader of 16th-century humanist movement to expose the church.
- 20th century American author. Most influential 20th-century fiction writer.
- 19th-20th century Irish polar explorer known for his expeditions in Antarctica.
- 20th century American businesswoman. Founder of world's largest cosmetics company.
- 20th century Argentinan political leader. Argentine First Lady who fought for the lower classes.
- 16th century Portuguese explorer. First European navigator to circumnavigate the globe.
- 20th century Cuban political leader. Cuban communist leader to lead Cuban Revolution.
– 19th century Italian-born English nurse. Founder of modern nursing and public health practices.
Francis Crick & James Watson
- 20th century biophysicists. Discovered structure of DNA.
Francisco de Goya
- 18th-19th century Spanish painter. Greatest Spanish painter to influence later painters.
Frank Lloyd Wright
– 19th - 20th century American architect. Most innovative and creative architect of 20th century.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
- 20th century American president. Four-time U.S. president. Led nation out of Great Depression & WWII.
- 20th century British rock musician. Lead singer for the English rock band Queen.
- 19th century African-American abolitionist. Most prominent African-American historical figure.
- 20th century Mexican painter. Known for her self-portraits and intense painting style.
– 19th century German philosopher & poet. Controversial yet influential figure in modern philosophy.
- 16th-17th century Italian astronomer. First to theorize Earth revolved around Sun.
- 12th-13th century Mongolian ruler. Conquered largest empire in the world.
14th century English poet & author. Father of modern English literature and poetry, writer of
The Canterbury Tales
- 20th century American composer. Leading American composer of 20th century.
- 20th century English novelist & critic. Wrote Animal Farm & Nineteen Eighty-Four.
George S. Patton
- 20th century American army general. Outstanding tank commander during WWII.
- 18th century American president. First president of the United States.
George Washington Carver
- 19th-20th century African-American agricultural chemist. Developed crop-rotation & vegetable-based products.
– 19th century Native American warrior. Legendary Apache leader who defended his homeland from American frontiersmen.
- 20th century American author of To Kill a Mockingbird.
- 19th-20th century African-American abolitionist. Led hundreds of slaves to freedom.
- 20th century Hungarian-American magician. Legendary escape artist.
- 20th century American politician & gay-rights activist.
- 19th-20th century French painter. Leader of modern art movement & Fauvism.
Henry David Thoreau
- 19th century American essayist & philospher. Author of Walden & Civil Disobedience.
- 20th century American industrialist. Founded Ford Motor Company & developed assembly line.
– 20th century German-born American Secretary of State. Most influential foreign policy adviser in the U.S. from 1969 to 1976.
- 20th century English sculptor. Known for his abstract sculptures.
- 19th century American author of Moby Dick.
- 16th century Spanish conquistador to conquer Mexico for Spain.
Ho Chi Minh
- 20th century Vietnamese statesman & revolutionary. Communist leader of North Vietnam.
- 20th century American aviator, entrepreneur & filmamker. Set air-speed records, built airplanes & owned TWA.
- 18th century German philosopher. Most influential philosopher to develop modern philosophy.
- 17th century English physicist & mathematician. Developed calculus, laws of motion & universal gravitation.
- 20th century English writer. Author of The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings.
- 20th century African-American baseball player. First black Major League Baseball player.
- 20th century American painter. Leader of Abstract Expressionism.
- 20th century French oceanographer. Studied marine life, invented aqualung, produced underwater documentaries.
– 19th to 20th century Irish author. Leading figure in modern literature who wrote
- 18th-19th century English novelist. Most influential novelist of the 19th century.
- 20th century English primatologist. Known for her long-term studies of chimpanzees.
- 20th century American singer. First white female blues singer known for her boisterous character.
Jean Paul Sartre
– 20th century French philosopher. Leading figure in French existentialism.
- 20th century Swiss psychologist. Made major advances in child psychology.
- 20th century Puerto Rican-American singer & actress. Richest & most influential Latin American entertainer.
- 20th century civil rights leader. Most successful African-American presidential candidate in U.S. history.
- 19th century American outlaw. Legendary Wild West bandit.
- 20th century African-American track star. Won 4 gold medals at 1936 Berlin Olympics.
– 20th century American singer, songwriter & poet. Lead singer of the rock group The Doors.
- 20th century African-American guitarist. Most influential electric guitarists.
- 20th century American president. 39th President of the U.S.
Joan of Arc
- 15th century French heroine. Helped France win Hundred Years' Waragainst English domination.
Johann Sebastian Bach
- 17th-18th century German composer. Greatest composer of all times.
- 18th century American president. Second U.S. president & Founding Father.
- 16th century French theologian and reformer. Leading Protestant reformer of France .
John D. Rockefeller
– 19th-20th century industrialist & philanthropist. Founded the Standard Oil Company and became the world’s first billionaire.
– 20 th century American criminal. Most famous American bank robber of 20 th century.
John F. Kennedy
- 20th century American president. 35th U.S. President assassinated in 1963.
– 19th century English poet. Leading poet in English Romantic movement.
- 20th century English singer & songwriter. Most famed member of the Beatles.
John Maynard Keynes
- 19th-20th century English economist. Ideas revolutionized modern economic & political theory.
John Quincy Adams
- 19th century American president. 6th U.S. President, son of John Adams, exceptional diplomat & statesman.
- 20th century American novelist. Author of Grapes of Wrath& Of Mice and Men.
- 20th century singer and songwriter of country music.
- 20th century American physician, immunologist & virologist. Discovered first polio vaccine.
- 20th century Russian ruler. Soviet communist dictator from 1922-1953.
- 20th century aviation pioneer & entrepreneur. Founder of Pan Am.
- 19th century French novelist. Father of modern science fiction.
- 1st century Roman political & military leader. Most influential ruler of the Roman empire.
- 19th century German philosopher, economist & revolutionary. Founded socialist & communist movements.
Kim Jong Il
- 20th century North Korean leader. Founded People's Democratic Republic of Korea.
King Henry VIII
–16 th century King of England. Ruled during the Renaissance & English Reformation, & established Church of England.
- 20th century American singer, songwriter & guitarist of grunge-rock band Nirvana.
- 20th century Austrian-born mathematician & logician. Revolutionized mathematical thought & modern logic.
L. Ron Hubbard
- 20th century American spiritual leader. Founded Church of Scientology.
- 20th century American cyclist. Seven-time winner of Tour de France.
- 6th century B.C. Chinese philosopher. Founder of Taoism/Daoism.
- 19th-20th century Belgian-born chemist. Invented & industrialized modern plastic.
- 20th century American advertising executive. Created icons such as Jolly Green Giant & Pillsbury Doughboy.
- 19th century Russian novelist & philosopher. One of the world's greatest writers to write War and Peace.
– 19th-20th century Russian revolutionary to lead Russia’s October Revolution.
Leonardo da Vinci
- 15th-16th century artist & inventor. Painted the Mona Lisa.
Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson
– 18th century English admiral. Prominent naval hero during the Battle of Trafalgar.
- 18th-19th century English Romantic poet who wrote
- 20th century African-American musician. Greatest & most influential jazz musician.
Louis B. Mayer
- 20th century American film executive. Co-founded Hollywood's largest motion-picture studio MGM.
- 19th century French chemist & microbiologist. Father of modern bacteriology to develop vaccine for rabies & pasteurization.
Louis, Mary & Richard Leakey
- 20th century English archaeologists, anthropologists & paleontologists. Dicovered oldest human fossils in East Africa.
- 20th century Italian-American mobster. Leading kingpin of organized crime of the 20th century.
Ludwig van Beethoven
- 18th century German composer. Greatest composer of Western classical music.
- 20th century Austrian philosopher. Most influential philosopher of 20th century.
Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi
- 19th-20th century Indian political & spiritual leader. Father of nonviolent protest & Indian independence.
- 20th century African-American civil rights leader & militant. Advocate of black nationalism.
- 20th century Chinese military & political leader. Led China's communist revolution.
- 20th century Russian-born artist known for his stained glass & post-impressionist paintings.
- 13th century Italian merchant & explorer. First Westerner to document travels of the East.
– 2nd century Roman emperor and stoic philosopher.
- 20th century English prime minister. Europe's first female prime minister.
- 18th century French Queen. Hated Queen of France to trigger the French Revolution.
- 19th-20th century Polish-born French physicist. Pioneer in radioactive research.
- 20th century actress, singer & model. Hollywood sex symbol.
- 19th century American writer & humorist. Most widely read American writer.
– 15th-16th century German monk, theologian & religious reformer. Leader of the Protestant Reformation.
Martin Luther King Jr
- 20th century civil rights leader & minister. Advocated nonviolence & racial equality.
- 20th century African-American poet, writer & actress. Portrays African-American struggles & pride in her works.
- 20th century basketball superstar. Greatest player in basketball history.
- 15th-16th century Italian Renaissance sculptor, painter & architect. Most influential figure in Western Art.
- 20th century trumpeter, bandleader & composer. Influential jazz musician.
- 20th century Albanian-born Roman Catholic nun known for her missionary work in India.
- 6th-7th century Arab prophet. Founded & established Islam.
- 20th century professional boxer. Three-time heavyweight champion.
- 18th-19th century French military leader. Most famous military leader.
- 20th century South African statesman & black nationalist. First elected president of South Africa.
- 15th-16th century Italian political philosopher, statesman & author. Made major contributions to political thought.
– 20th century Russian political leader. First Secretary of the Communist Party & leader of the Soviet Union after Stalin.
- 20th century American illustrator. Most popular American artist of 20th century.
- 16th-17th century English general & statesman. Lead forces in the English Civil War & made England a Republic.
- 20th century TV personality & actress. Host of TVs highest rated talk show
- 20th century American actor & director. Most innovative Hollywood filmmaker.
- 19th century Irish author, poet & playwright. Controversial figure who wrote A Picture of Dorian Gray.
- 20th century Spanish painter & sculptor. Revolutionary artist who helped create cubism.
- 18th century American silversmith & patriot. Warned American of oncoming British attack.
- 20th century American sports executive. NFL commissioner to popularize football.
- 20th century American inventor of the television.
- 4th-5th century B.C. Greek philospher. Most influential Grrek philosopher & student of Socrates.
- 17th century Native American woman. Saved Captain John Smith, married an English settler, & brought peace between English colonists and Native Americans.
- 20th century Cambodian political leader. Tyrannical dictator of Khmer Rouge responsible for killing millions of Cambodians.
- 20th century English princess. First wife of Prince Charles known for her humanitarian work.
- 6th century BC Greek philosopher, mathematician, scientist & astronomer. The
Father of Numbers
credited for the Pythagorean theorem.
- 19th century English queen. Queen of the Victorian era & during British Empire's peak.
- 20th century American biologist. Environmental pioneer.
- 20th century American fashion designer. Created one of the most succesful fashion empires.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
- 19th century American author & poet. Leading figure of American Transcendentalism.
- 15th-16th century Italian master painter & architect of the Italian Renaissance.
- 20th century African-American jazz musician. Pioneer of soul music.
- 20th century American entrepreneur. Fast-food mogul to expand & franchise McDonald's.
- 17th century French philosopher, writer, mathematician & scientist. Father and founder of modern philosophy and math.
- 20th century American president. 37th U.S. President involved in Watergate scandal & first president to resign.
- 20th century English author of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.
Robert E. Lee
- 19th century American general. Greatest military commander during American Civil War
- 20th century American inventor & physicist. Father of modern rocketry.
- 20th century American president. Ex-Hollywood actor & 40th U.S. president.
- 20th century civil rights activist. Triggered largest movement against racial segregation.
- 19th-20th century Indian-born British author of The Jungle Book.
- 20th century Spanish painter. Most recognized surrealist artist of 20th century.
- 20th century American retailer. Founder of Wal-mart, largest retail chain store in U.S.
- 18th century American colonial leader of American Revolution.
Scott of the Antarctic
- 19th-20th century British explorer & naval officer. Leader of ill-fated expedition to reach South Pole.
- 19th-20th century Austrian neurologist. Founded psychoanalysis.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- 19th-20th century Scottish writer. Creator of Sherlock Holmes.
Sir Francis Drake
- 16th century English admiral & navigator. First to circumnavigate the globe.
Sir Joseph Banks
- 18th-19th century English explorer, botanist & scientist. Voyaged with Captain James Cook & collected thousands of plant and animal species.
– 19th century Native American tribal chief & medicine man. Famed for his bravery against white settlers & in the Battle of Little Big Horn.
- 5th century BC Greek philosopher. Father of Western philosophy.
- 20th century American business executive. President of largest construction & engineering companies.
- 20th century African-American singer & songwriter. 22-time Grammy winner with over 30 Top 10 hits
- 19th century American military general. Most important Confederate general of U.S. Civil War.
- 19th century Scottish writer & historian. Significant thinker of the Victorian era.
- 19th-20th century American inventor. Inventor of the incadescent light bulb & the phonograph.
- 18th century American president. Founding Father & author of the Declaration of Independence.
- 20th century American writer & playwright. Wrote literary classics such as Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Ulysses S. Grant
- 19th century American army general & president. Eighteenth president of the United States to command all Union armies during the Civil War.
- 19th century French writer & poet. Author of The Hunchback of Notre-Dame& Les Miserables.
Vincent van Gogh
- 19th century Dutch, post-impressionist painter.
- 18th century controversial French writer & philosopher. Greatest French writer of the French Enlightenment.
- 20th century filmmaker, executive & entrepreneur. Creator of Mickey Mouse.
- 20th century American poet. Most influential poet in American literature.
William Randolph Hearst
- 19th-20th century American newspaper tycoon. Revolutionized journalism with his massive media empire.
- 17th century poet and playwright. Greatest writer and dramatist of the English language.
William Tecumseh Sherman
- 19th century American military leader. Outstanding military commander during the U.S. Civil War.
- 18th-19th century English poet. Greatest lyrical poet of the Romantic era.
- 19th-20th century English statesman & prime minister. Legendary British prime minister leading his country to victory during WWII.
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- 18th century Austrian composer. Greatest & most influential composer of classical music.
- 19th-20th century American president. Twenty-eighth president of the U.S. to lead the country through WWI & created League of Nations.
- 19th-20th century American aviators. Pioneers of the first airplane and flight.
Thank you for visiting!
All the biographies on my site are
100% original content
& individually researched.
Edgar Allan Poe
Edgar Allan Poe
George Washington Carver
Leonardo da Vinci
Ludwig Van Beethoven
Martin Luther King Jr.
Vincent van Gogh
© BiographyShelf.com 1996-2008
How to write a Biography
Return to Top
623 Mt Auburn St, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA